Translate

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Civil Rights Movement



CCSS Addressed:  ELA W7.7 & 7.8, ELA SL7.1 & 7.6, ELA RI7.2,7.4,7.6 & 7.9

Several of the book options for our second round of online book clubs are about the Civil Rights Movement.  In this project, you will be choosing one of six different aspects of the Civil Rights movement to investigate.  We will talk about each option for a bit before you pick a topic to research.

You will be working in a group of 3 or 4 people who also want to research this topic.  After you do your research you will be presenting your topic to the class.  Complete instructions are on the sheet.

If you find out something that you think is really interesting, put it in a comment on this post.  Reply to other facts you find interesting!

Topics:
March on Washington
Marches from Selma to Montgomery
Ruby Bridges attends a desegregated school
16th Street Church Bombing - Birmingham, Alabama
Children's Marches - Birmingham, Alabama
Rosa Parks & The Montgomery Bus Boycotts

18 comments:

  1. I learned that Martin Luther King Jr. led the final march from Selma to Montgomery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The most interesting thing that I learned is that nearly 250,000 people came to the march

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHOA!!!!! That's a lot of people

      Delete
  3. An interesting fact I found that they were awarded with medals years later

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was 200 people attending sunday school when it happend

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a non-violent civil rights act but many kids died.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My topic is Ruby Bridges and you probably think that she was scared and nervous order but she said in her interview she was not frightned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I would have been scared

      Delete
  7. I learned that the march was all a statement about how the black wanted to vote.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was learning about Ruby Bridges and I found out that the reason she went to the white school because she passed a test that was supposed to be impossible, and her parents were willing to risk her by sending her there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I learned that People threaten Ruby and came to her house. The U.S Marines had to stay at her house do she would die.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I learned that, when the kids would march the police would threaten them with their dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was shocked to find out that all the kids that marched were expelled

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of the most interesting things that I found out was that the students that left school to march were expelled. But soon after that the government made the school alow the kidsto go back.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I learned that during the march the main person the called him king he was thretend by the police and they started to arest the kids and he had money to bail them out and they started to run out of money

    ReplyDelete
  14. They used 15 sticks of dynomate on the 16th church. But i dont think they were aiming at the girls, i think that they were aiming at the church.
    One of my question is would they of bombed the church if they knew that the girls were in there?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I learned that the children that were marching actually wanted to go to jail, so they can fill the jail cells. Thats so brave of them! If I was doing that march I would be sooo scared and I would hide.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I learned that Ruby Bridge's teacher Mrs. Henry still was willing to teach her despite her skin color and even though all the other kids were pulled out.

    ReplyDelete